Monday, November 7, 2011

Akihabara Electric Town and Yuya-san.

Yokoso to another edition of super happy sparkle sparkle fun time blog!

That was a made up reference to the day I just had. I begun by sending off Okaa and Oba via the Toei Asakusa Line to Asakusa, a big tourist spot where there are some more traditional sightseeing spots in Tokyo, including Shinoji Temple (I think that's what its called). I proceeded by myself to Akihabara.

I arrived at Akihabara Station around 9:40(AM). I explored for a while in about a 2 or 3 block radius of the station, so as to not lose my sense of direction. Most places didn't open until at least 10:00. I went into a few different game centers, some electronics shops, anime goods shops, and the like. Its truly amazing how these places operate. The game centers are all multi floor with at least one basement level and multiple upper levels. Different types of games are separated by floor. For example, on the second floor of one of the game centers I entered, there were prize games (similar to claw games with plushies in America). I had read before that in Japan, the employees will open the machine and move the prizes around to make it easier for you to win, and despite knowing this beforehand I still found it a bit surprising. I arranged to meet my friend Yuya at Akihabara Station at 13:30 (1:30PM) but he called and said he wouldn't be there until about 14:30 (2:30PM). So I decided to eat at a Becker's Burgers, a restaurant I had seen in multiple other locations. I got a bacon BBQ burger and seasoned fries. While I ate and pondered how to spend the next 2 hours (later 3 hours after Yuya called), I noticed a sign for a maid cafe that I read about before leaving the hotel. One with an English menu no less. Having browsed around this side street for a couple hours already, I was surprised to find out that the establishment, known as MaiDreamin, was on the 6th floor above the very sign advertising it. I wanted to go to a real maid cafe since the beginning stages of planning my trip months and months ago, so I figured this was as good a time as any.

Upon the elevator doors opening on the 6th floor, I was greeted by 3 or 4 cute girls in maid costumes. I can only assume they said something to the effect of, "welcome" but it was not what they said so much as how they said it; in unison. From the elevator, I was guided left through a hallway and explained how the process works. I was to buy at least 2 items in addition to paying an entrance fee. By now I'm sure you've guessed that this was no cheap excursion. Of course I knew that, but the entire concept of this maid cafe was so entrancing that I didn't care much. I had just eaten and wasn't particularly hungry, so I bought a pineapple juice and strawberry ice cream parfait. I was seated by Rei, who asked me to call her Rei-pon and served by Aya who I was to refer to as Aya-nyan. These two girls I spoke to the most, moreover with Aya. Aya knew basic English and we spoke a bit. When Aya brought my parfait, she said that it was already delicious, but to make it more delicious we must say something together. So she taught me this chant of sorts to say with her. I forget the first two words, but it ends with, "Moe, moe, kyuuuuu." It was quite the scene. Aya was my favorite, because we spoke the most. All the maids were pretty cute though. We spoke about my trip in Japan, where I am from, music and anime we like and I showed her and a few other maids a picture of Sake-chan, my cat as well as of Emmy, my niece. The maids worked interchangeably, all catering to everybody at different times. I also met and spoke a bit with Mako, Komachi, and Azu. When I entered originally there was only one other guy in there. He must have been a regular, because he had a member card (I received one as well) and a booklet of pictures of the maids or something similar. You are not allowed to take pictures inside the cafe, because they sell pictures of the maids, so this man had obviously been here many times before. Later, a girl who looked like an otaku of sorts came in. Then a pair of girls, and a couple, and then a few guys separately. This large man, perhaps in his late 30s or early 40s, came in about half way through my stay and I happened to see him leaving about an hour and a half later as I wandered outside. I should mention, I also bought a photo of Rei-pon with her named signed on the bottom right corner. I couldn't find one of Aya, who had become my favorite towards the end. All in all, my bill came out to a hefty ¥2950 or about 38 USD. I'd say it was worth it though, if only just this once. The experience was very rewarding; I could see how one could get addicted to it. I later saw Aya on the street outside the building advertising the cafe. I told her about my blog and wrote the URL down and gave it to her to check. Its probably doubtful that she will, but I would like to think she reads it at least once.

After all of that, I sat and waited just outside of the station for Yuya to call. While waiting, a group of school girls in uniform passed and looked my way. I caught them looking at me so I smiled and waved and in return they waved back. Shortly after some random Japanese man approached me and asked me for ¥300 for the train. After stumbling around trying to understand his broken English accent, I shook my head and he continued on his way. Not too long after, Yuya called and we met each other outside of the station. From there we got coffee (or royal milk tea in my case) and walked around a bit. We proceeded on foot to Ueno to visit a few sports shops looking for Nadeshiko Japan merchandise. Afterward, we took a brief stroll through Ueno park, and then took the subway to Asakusa. We visited the temple there and then walked to the edge of the Sumida River to get a closer look at Tokyo Sky Tree, the tallest tower in the world and the highest artificial point in Tokyo. Its twice the size of Tokyo tower. We then took the subway back to Shinagawa and after dropping some things off at the hotel, had dinner with Okaa and Oba at the Wired Cafe near our hotel.

I fear as I continue on, I include less and less detail so I will wrap things up here with some pictures and then go to sleep.

Daniel


A typical street in Akiba.

Some delightful Engrish to pass the time.

One of the upper floors of an arcade. Its really loud in here.

The sign advertising the MaiDreamin Cafe.

My strawberry bunny parfait. Super kawaii.

I snapped a picture of one of the maids (the only one whose name I didn't get) on the street.

Tokyo Sky Tree. Sugoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment