Sunday, November 6, 2011

Harajuku Fashion

 こんばんは!

My Sunday (11/06) is not over yet, but has been well so far. Its about 17:20 (5:20PM) and I am at the hotel resting a bit. Today I awoke around 7:15 and checked the weather before taking a shower and heading to Okaa's room. I put on a neck warmer that I bought the day before in a shop connected to the hotel. Its serves the purpose of a scarf basically. Waiting for the elevator, I decided to strike up a conversation with the guy the next to me. I would say he was a 20-something. I said "Ohayo" and he replied "Ohayo gozaimasu" (good morning)  and then I showed him my shirt (see last post) and he laughed. I asked him his name in Japanese, and I think he said Kato. Then I said my name is Daniel or "Da-ni-ru" in Japanese. I said nice to meet you in Japanese after that. Then we both went down in the elevator.

After getting settled with Okaa and Oba, we went to the station and took the JR Yamanote line to Shinjuku Sta. and then transferred to Shinjuku-sanchome (metro subway) and took it to Yotsuya-sanchome. Right out of the stairway was a museum that Oba requested we go to. After perusing it for awhile, we went decided to walk back to Shinjuku Sta. but I led us in the wrong direction. We walked to Yotsuya Sta. (not to be confused with Yotsuya-sanchome) which was about 10 or 15 minutes from the museum. So I asked for directions and followed Shinjuku-dori back the opposite direction for about 2 miles (about a 35 minute walk). We then took the JR Yamanote line to Harajuku Sta. From there,  I first asked a small group of 3 how to get to Takeshita-dori, but they didn't know because they were Korean. Usually I can tell the difference easily, but I guess after being here for a few days, my senses have dulled a bit. I asked a young woman in a shop where to find Takeshita-dori, a pedestrian only street crammed with shops geared towards youth fashion (more specifically Harajuku fashion, lolita fashion, etc.). Needless to say, it was pretty incredible. On this street, there were a a fair number of Nigerians. More than 10 I would say. I can't be sure of course of this particular group, and don't consider this a judgment by any means, but Nigerians in Japan often try to scam you, much like they are known for via email spam. Maybe about 1/3 of the way down the street I found a shop that I really liked called Nudy Boy. And what do you know, the music playing in the store was a 9mm Parabellum Bullet CD. I knew just about every song and I sung along to it. The shop owner was very nice, and I spoke to him a bit. I told him that I knew the band and played him the same song that was playing in the store via my WP7. He also got a kick out of my shirt. We talked about how long my trip would last, and other small talk topics. Okaa and Oba graciously offered to buy me something, so I got a vest. It was hard to decide though, because I liked a lot of the clothes in the store. Maybe the most entertaining part of today was the just watching the reactions of people when they saw my shirt. I must have had at least 30 people either smile, chuckle, or bust up laughing after seeing it. Many of them are walking the other direction and turn to see it again. I smile and wave. This may be the first instance where I enjoyed being stared at. Just half an hour ago or so, I shared an elevator with about 6 or 7 elderly Japanese women in kimonos. When I showed them my shirt, the elevator burst with laughter. I am unsure of exactly what they said, but almost all of them said something to me individually as they left. Perhaps something along the lines of, "good luck." It was all very entertaining. Anyway, back to Harajuku. We stumbled across a soccer store and I eagerly went in. I looked around for a bit and then asked if they had Nadeshiko Japan jerseys, namely Sawa #10, but the clerk said they were sold out and hard to find just about anywhere by extension. I was disappointed, but I bought a JFA beanie instead. I love Japanese soccer, so I couldn't leave without buying something. After Takeshita-dori, we went to Yoyogi Park but seeing as it was getting dark and my travel companions were getting tired, retreated back to Harajuku Sta. and took the train back to Shinagawa. I tried calling Yuya when I was in Harajuku but he didn't answer. Later he called me, but I couldn't talk long because I was trying to navigate the station. I hope we can meet tomorrow. I have lots more to say I'm sure, but I must go to dinner now. Maybe I'll post later tonight again.

Until then,
Daniel

I took a video of this guy dancing in the hall behind us and he came over and instigated this picture.
My new favorite shop, Nudy Boy, on Takeshita-dori
The entrance to Takeshita-dori. Just beyond the arch is a sea of people.
These two girls saw my shirt and started laughing so I approached them and asked for a picture with them.
Some of the shops were in alleys and others up stair cases to the second floor of a building. I bought some gloves here.
A few examples of some of the clothes found in Takeshita-dori.
The soccer shop just outside of Takeshita-dori.

No comments:

Post a Comment